Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dog Wars

E left to go on a business trip all week so that leaves me at home with Maggie for a few days. Normally, that wouldn't bother me since she is much calmer lately.

However, since Matt and Elizabeth are in Africa on a mission trip for 2 weeks, I offered to take care of Neel (their dog/Maggie's boyfriend) for a few days. Instead of leaving him at their house to stay by himself all day, I went ahead and brought him to our house so him and Maggie could play. Neel has spent the night for the past 2 nights. Maggie has a problem about leaving him alone. She feels like she has to be in his face 24/7. So my thought was to put him in her cage at night so he could get some sleep. Well that didn't work. Maggie sat in front of the cage all night whining for him. She would get up in the bed with me for a few minutes and then jump down to check on Neelfor several minutes...then back in bed with me. This happened about every 20-30 minutes during the night. By 4:00am I was TICKED!!! I was exhausted and only had 2 hours until I had to get up. I kicked her off of my bed and commanded her to sleep in her bed which she did until morning.

However, I can't function with 2 hours of sleep. I was already planning to take off a little early for a function I had to go to last night so I went ahead and took the whole day off to try and get some rest. So last night, I left them both out thinking they would find a cozy spot on the floor together (like they had done all day long) but that didn't happen. They got into bed with me. That's fine as long as they go to sleep. Neel groomed himself most of the night and Maggie felt the need to be in his face while he was doing this. Neel would then growl at her because he doesn't like to be messed with once in bed. They finally got still and I thought we were home free until the whole process started over again. At this point, it's 11:30pm. I typically go to bed around 9:30 since we get up at 5:30 and I wasn't going to have a repeat of the previous night. I locked them both in the kitchen together for the rest of the night. It seemed to work until the barking started. Maggie started barking at Neel because he wouldn't play with her. I went into the kitchen where she had him cornered, told her to "HUSH" and "Get into to bed." Which worked for about and hour and a half. And this process repeated the WHOLE NIGHT!!!!! I finally stopped getting up and just screamed "HUSH!!!" from my bed, which seemed to work, until morning.

So now, I have to function like a normal person today without 2 nights worth of sleep. I am taking Neel home tonight so he can sleep and I can finally get some rest too. It's my stupid pup that's keeping me up all night. The "Great Experiment" failed. I wonder if this is how Marie Curie felt! HA

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow! You had some rough evenings. I hope you are able to bring Neel home and get some rest! Good Luck!