Let me give you a few reasons to make this:
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Let me give you a few reasons to make this:
Speaking of encouragement, I needed something to work towards instead of running because it is good for me. So...does anyone want to join me for the Spring Fever 5K walk/run in the Woodlands on March 1st?
I could use some team members...Register here!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
This quarter focuses on things like learning to knit, learning to play a musical instrument, learning to bird watch, and a few others. They have lots of interesting ideas and items to get the brain working. If it inspires you, I am thinking about learning to knit and bird watch.
By the way, KS's website is all flash so I couldn't copy the bird watching image I wanted, but I was able to copy the cakes, and they look, oh, so yummy.
Monday, January 28, 2008
1. What time did you get up this morning? 5am
2. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
3. What was the last film you saw at the movies? Juno
5. What did you eat for breakfast? Bagel w/ peanut butter and honey
6. What is your middle name? Dinai
7. What food do you dislike? fried food
8. What is your favorite CD at the moment? no favorites, however, I am addicted to the Snow Patrol station on Pandora
9. What kind of car do you drive? 4-Runner
10. Favorite sandwich? spinach panini with pine nuts from Jason's Deli
11. Favorite item of clothing? any shirt I got from a 5K race in KW
12. If you could go anywhere in the world for a vacation, where would you go? Australia
13. What color is your bathroom? Blue
14. Favorite brand of clothing? I love Limited and have a sad "Life is Good" addiction
15. Where would you retire? Maybe Key West, maybe the Carribean, maybe I could be a snowbird
16. Where did you meet your spouse? first day of school at UAH
17. Furthest place you are sending this? depends on who checks my blog, probably Cherrye in Italy though.
18. Favorite saying? "Holy Cow"
19. When is your birthday? April 10th
20. Are you a morning person or a night person? Morning
21. What is your shoe size? 9.5
22. Favorite food for Dinner? Southwest Chicken Chili
23. What did you want to be when you were little? Judge
24. What are you doing today? Someone else's work
25. What is your favorite candy? Gobstoppers
26. What is your favorite flower? tulips
27. What day are you looking forward to most on your calendar? My mom is coming to visit in March
28. What church do you attend? Calvary Baptist
29. What are you listening to right now? Reliant K
30. What was the last thing you ate? Blueberry yogurt smoothie
31. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Green
32. What is your pet peeve? People that make up words and use them like they are legitimate (irregardless; supposibly)
33. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Emerson, Beth and Grant
34. Favorite soft drink? Sprite
35. Favorite restaurant? Square Grouper in KW
36. Siblings? 2 sisters - Blake, Britanie
37. Chocolate or vanilla? vanilla
38. What is under your bed? Plenty of Maggie's toys and fur
37. Who is the friend you've had longest? Ashley Kelley since 3rd grade
38. What did you do last night? Made a Greek dinner and watched "The Ghost in the Darkness"
39. Favorite smell? cookies
40. What are you afraid of? snakes, the unknown, where the military will send us next, birthing children, (is 4 answers enough? I have way more)
41. How many keys on your key ring? too many to count
42. How many years at your current job? 7 months too long
43. Favorite city to visit? I love going to Houston (IKEA) or Gulf Shores
44. Favorite dessert? apple dumpling, anything from the Cheesecake factory
45. Do you have a special talent? I can cook, I can pop my rib like some people pop their knuckles (Is that really a talent though?)
Hope you enjoy!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
I made an appointment with the Vet a week in advance and stressed about my decision for the whole week. I know she's only a dog, but she's my dog! Eric has been making jokes with Maggie and me all week like this one directed at Maggie "If you don't eat all of your dinner, Mommie is going to take you to the Dr. to have your reproductive organs taken out." Break my heart, why don't you! I know he's only kidding and he's trying to make light of the situation, but come on! After about 5 of those zingers a day for a week, I was feeling pretty guilty about elective surgery. Just the thought of her not eating for the day, a new Vet she doesn't know, her waking up from surgery in pain and not knowing what just happened, having to spend the night in the kennel without us or her bed, and then of course..the big what if...I was getting a little teary eyed. (like it actually takes much effort these days)
I told E the night before her appointment that he was going to have to drop her off because I was going to be a basketcase if I had to be the one...So he was gracious enough to relieve me of my duties and drop her off yesterday. Since she had to spend the night, he sent her favorite toy (Duckie) along for the night. He even offered to take today off to pick her up as soon as she could come home and keep an eye on her. He redeemed himself from all of the pre-appt hazing with those 3 things in my book. But if it's this hard with my dog, I had to admit that I am going to need some help when I take our kids to get vaccines and checkups, etc. Whew! I have been a mess.
Maggie's home and all is well. She is a few stitches and a shaved belly. She is back to her old self already. Just a little more tired than usual today.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
It was also depressing when we moved here 8 months ago and no one came by to see us. So I am an agent of change for the next few weekends. E has been more resistant to the bold social change, but if I only do one neighbor a weekend, he is not as hesitant. So I baked Apple Pie cupcakes to take across the street to the neighbors who just moved in. We took Irish Cream Chocolate Pound Cake to 2 other neighbors last weekend. 3 neighbors down...too many more to go.
They turned out PERFECT! So good. However, if you don't have much of a sweet tooth, leave off the icing and maybe dust the tops with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar. Me and E, well, we aren't really sweet tooth people, so I think that next time I will use my ramikins instead of cupcakes and more apples cooked in brown sugar instead of granulated sugar.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Friday, January 18, 2008
E started his Master's of Management Information Systems
We bought a car.
I ran my first 5K.
I learned how to cook.
E signed on to work with his employer for the next 6 years.
We took our first vacation to my parents beach house.
We moved halfway across the country.
We bought a house, a washer, a dryer, a refrigerator, lawnmower, and a giant tv.
We are the new dog parents of Maggie Bailey.
E and myself got new jobs, new friends, new church and new lives.
We were both able to make it home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Wow what a year!!
Well, I have hit a point this week where I am officially not working towards anything...I don't know if that's good thing or a bad thing...I am leaning a little more toward the bad thing side though. Having no objectives, challenges, or projects at work to help me feel fulfilled with the things that I do, I am now in search of different activities to work toward and finish just for that feeling of accomplishment. Cleaning my house and cooking only goes so far.
With this in mind, my brain has been racing all week trying to come up with things to look forward to. These are the things I came up with:
-I have asked a few friends to train and run a 5K in the Woodlands with me in March. I need a reason to run other than "It's good for me!"
-I organized 2 of the closets in my house and still have 2 more to go.
-I am starting the decorating plans for the office space E is building me soon.
-I am reading a book to teach my puppy new tricks. I am secretly hoping it will make her into a much more obedient puppy too.
-My mom and grandparents are coming in March to help me re-upholster 2 of my chairs, paint a few canvases for my kitchen, make some pillows, and decorate my guest room.
-E wants to take me out of town to a resort for the weekend of my birthday.
-Valentine's Day is coming and I have a small project I want to surprise E with.
-We are still in the middle of renovating the den/laundry room. I can't wait to see that finished.
-I am spending this long weekend with my nose in books relearning different creative software packages to get my brain cells firing yet again.
-My friend and future business partner, Ashley, is coming to visit next month with her dogs, so we can get the ball rolling.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Links I am Loving...
--MOO - MOO goes along with the paper addiction that I have already fessed up to. MOO lets you create custom designed stationary, notecards, envelopes, business cards, and EVEN STICKER BOOKS!! The sticker books are my favorite parts. Some of my favorite blog owners design for this site. If I only had lots of money to spend here...
--Pandora - The musical genious's of the Pandora site really found a good thing and seem to have capitalized greatly upon this idea. You type in the name of an musical artist that you like, and Pandora finds other music similiar to the type of music you entered in. You can listen free of charge and commercial free for as long as you want. If you like the song, click the thumbs up on the album cover. If you really hate the song, click the thumbs down. I listen to this site daily at work and several different stations on my list.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
However, little did we know, our little Magpie, evidently, spent the whole night out on the town boozin' it up. She woke up New Year's Day, groggy, and curled up on the couch with a pillow and a very large bottle of water. I guess we are going to have to tighten her leash a bit!!
This week we are having, .....drum roll please....... Veggie Skillet Quiche
I love this recipe. It is a Brooke Bailey original from scratch. There aren't many of these. I tend to start with someone else's recipe and alter it to match what I think it needs.
Me and E had it for dinner Sunday and, since it gave us enough leftovers, Monday night too. To reheat, just warm it up in the microwave for about 45 seconds for 2 pieces.
Let me know how it goes if you try it or if you have a recipe you want to share. Sometimes I get busy and don't cook somthing unique every week. Ideas, ideas...I need your ideas!!!
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Monday, January 7, 2008
Growing up, I was always cautious who I was friends with. Your friends say alot about who you are and having learned that lesson the hard way, I have remained cautious in my old age. (HA!) But being a military wife speeds things up tremendously. All of the sudden, you are dropped into a far away place, where you know noone, your family and friends are hundreds of miles away, your job situtation is questionable, and then, to top it off, your husband gives you a big hug and kiss and says "See you in 2 months!!" Talk about Terror!!
But I am glad I let my guard every now and again. Me and Ashley hit it off immediately in Key West having both been stranded there with no hope. I love my friends here, but I miss my seasoned friendships. Yes, my friends here in town are great, but none that already know how I think, none of them already know the things that get on my nerves, none that have already seen me have a total meltdown, none that think very similiar to the way I do.
Me and Ash and our husbands had dinner over the holiday. Having found no luck moving from state to state and finding the perfect job immediately (or at ALL), we have to decided to start our own business. We are going to work out of our homes marketing and creating and maintaning websites. You can't beat going to work in your PJ's, taking off whever you need to, getting to stay home with your kids (whenever we get to that point), and not having to put up with all of the political fanfare that have overrun our jobs these days.