Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday - Balsamic Artichokes

Growing up, I don't recall eating that many vegetables, mostly because my Mom didn't like them. Sometimes she would put vegetables on the plates of me and my sisters that she had no intention of eating herself. Now that I am a little more health conscience than I was was in elementary school, I am currently working very hard to make myself enjoy certain vegetables, especially raw ones. I have just mastered carrots and celery, and I think I am ready to move on to broccoli and bell peppers.

However, one of the few vegetables that my Mom would eat was artichokes. They just looked suspicious to me...like nothing I cared to try. I think I finally tried artichokes in college inside of an artichoke/crab dip appetizer. So good. And ever since then I have tried to find new ways to cook them.

One of the advantages of living in Texas is our grocery store called HEB Plus. I love that store and they have so many unique items. As it turns out, frozen artichokes are one of those unique items. So I tried to find a way to cook with them and this is what I came up with.


Just a small note...the store was out of frozen artichokes when my mom came for Easter so we used canned ones that had been drained. They turned out just as good but didn't need as long of a cook time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok...it's a deal, i'll make the salad you make this next time we cook. this looks super tasty.