Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's Cooking Wednesday - Granola

E has an obsession with granola. And not just the oats and honey kind. It's got to be 100% quality and the man eats on this stuff nonstop all day long. He was eating me out of house and home because a good quality pack of granola is not cheap. He would take a bag of granola to work and then come home and have another bag for snack. Then after dinner, I would see him munching on another handful. My grocery shopping was having trouble keeping up with his need for a healthy snack.

Luckily, I noticed that The Happy Housewife was making homemade granola for her family. I thought to myself, "Self, if she can do this, you can do this!!" So here we have the first few versions of the Bailey Family Granola. You can almost hear my wallet cheering because its way cheaper and better for you to make it yourself than buy it. Oh yeah...did I mention it takes 3 minutes to make and 10 minutes to bake? Who doesn't have and extra 15 minutes a week and most of these ingredients in your pantry instead of buying boxes and boxes of this stuff! Another plus is to add local honey to work to combat seasonal allergies.


So far, we have made several varieties:
-Peanut Butter
-Dried Blueberry Apple
-Cinnamon Raison
-Currant (pictured above)

This week, I plan to make one more batch and I am going to try dried pomegranate-chocolate this time, as this is the last week of a 9 month project he's been working on...lots of brain snacks needed to make it through this week!! One more project to finish and then we can lead a normal life!! (why are you laughing?? I'm sure I could handle a normal life!?!)

Regardless of whether you think I could handle a real life or not, here's the recipe from The Happy Housewife:

Granola


  • 3 cups dry oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ


First melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the honey and salt and briefly heat with the butter. Turn off the heat and add the oatmeal and wheat germ. Stir.


Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet. Spread the mixture out evenly and bake it at 375° for 10 minutes. It will be a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.


***If you want to try the Peanut Butter version, add a 1/2 cup of Peanut Butter to the pot while you heat the butter and honey. Then add a tablespoon of cocoa with the oats and wheat germ. You will have to cook the granola for a little longer in the oven. (I cooked it an extra 5 minutes but it still needed a little more.)

No comments: