Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What's Cooking Wednesday - Getting Desperate

Since we have had a few snowstorms in the past few weeks, I have been forced to get creative about my pantry items. I have a few meals already prepped in the freezer for E but I want them to stay that way for a while since I plan on going home for a few weeks next month (otherwise I will find alot of Starbucks muffin wrappers and Burger King cups lying around when I come home).

So Friday night, I tried really hard to come up with some random meals that I could throw together with things I already had in stock. But I thought I would share them with you since we all know we have those days where we need to go grocery shopping, there's nothing in the pantry or the fridge, but frozen pizza or pasta isn't going to cut it.

Banana Bread - I found a purely basic recipe and pulled some ripe bananas out of the freezer and let them thaw overnight. Amazing! I tweeked the recipe just a little and if you want to see my version, it's linked over on the right hand side of the page. INSTANT BREAKFAST! (P.S. If you are throwing super ripe bananas in the garbage, you are an IDIOT! Throw them in a food storage bag and put them in the freezer until you have the time or the need to make banana bread, blueberry banana nut bread, banana muffins, souffl├ęd banana pancake, etc...)



Chicken Pot Pie - I had a leftover puff pastry in the freezer (but you could make a few bisquick biscuits) that I thawed and threw on top of all of all the fresh veggies and garlic I had left in my fridge, some frozen peas, some shredded chicken from the freezer, and a can of cream of chicken soup and it was GOOD! I had second helpings!! And it was pretty. I love the way a puff pastry looks ... all golden and delicious.



Skillet Quiche - While I DON'T have a pie crust and have no intention of making one (I am watching my waistline afterall), I DO have eggs and plenty of onions, cheese and frozen broccoli. I also found a single potato hiding the back of my veggie drawer and threw that in for fun too. Voila! (I think I used spinach and mushrooms in the one pictured)
Two-Mustard Chicken - This one is so easy and cheap. We always have all kinds of different mustards in the fridge, honey and rice in the pantry, so this entire recipe is all out of regular stocked items. Just add chicken!!

1 comment:

Cherrye at My Bella Vita said...

Love the quiche and chicken ideas. I like to go through the pantries and see what I can come up with, too-especially when the weather is bad and I can't make myself get out!!