Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's Cooking Wednesday - Brookies


E came up with the name for these...isn't it cute? It's a blend between cookies and brownies...but it's also the nickname that my close family calls me. He threw it out there and it immediately stuck. However, these aren't "Brooke" originals so I don't know if I necessarily get to name them. They were first seen on Bakerella...she has the most beautiful confectionary treats on her site. If you want her step by step instructions in picture form, Go visit!! But I think they are Betty Crocker recipes.
Bakerella's picture...not mine!!

Back to the point...Did I mention we are talking about a blend of cookies and brownies today? Oh my. 2 of my favorite desserts rolled into one! I literally gained 5 pounds the first 2 weeks of January after I made these three times for several different events. The recipe makes an insane amount and no one can turn these down. Thank goodness I didn't make any insane weight New Year's Resolutions. This is my new "take to someone's house" dessert.

As if all of those reasons weren't enough to go to the store tonight and make these, here's another one. I used box mixes from the grocery store!! Nothing fancy. I know!! Isn't this great.

Go therefore and bake multitudes of BROOKIES and distribute them among all the peoples. (If that's not in the Bible, it should be, because if Jesus had tried these brownies...!!)
Brookies

1 box Betty Crocker® Original Supreme brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® chocolate chip cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting, optional

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray, or grease with shortening. Make brownie mix as directed on box, using oil, water and 2 eggs. Spread in pan.

2. Make cookie mix as directed on pouch, using butter and 1 egg. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls evenly onto brownie batter; press down lightly.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool on cooling rack 30 minutes. Frost with frosting, if desired. For brownies, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows.

3 comments:

Denise :) said...

LOL! You make me laugh. Happy baking ... I think some brookies may be in our future! :)

Ashley said...

Uhmm.... I'm almost afraid to try these. It just sounds too good.

squeeli2 said...

We made these last night and they were a HUGE hit. I googled Brookies and that really is what they are called. I'm thinking of trying them with peanut butter cookie dough because I <3 peanut butter.