Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What's Cooking Wednesday - Hob Knobs

E asked me to host an early QUICK dinner at our house every Wednesday night for him and his co-workers who have a late night meeting every Wednesday for a few weeks. Why? Well, he thought it would be nice to serve a warm, healthy, free meal at our house which is closer to their office (5 minute walk) than any fast food restaurant or their own house.

So every Wednesday night for about the past 2 months, we have had a variety of visitors around our dinner table. Since, they have to get back to work so quickly, I always have a kettle of hot water for hot chocolate next to a stack of to-go coffee cups as well as a dessert for the road.

We have already done and exhausted cookies and brownies, and brownies topped with cookies (more about those later...Mmmmmm) so I was struggling this week for ideas when I remembered E's favorite cookies from home (his mom's recipe). While I am sure that his mom's are better than mine, I quickly made a batch anyway. Emphasis on QUICKLY!!

There is old fashioned oats in this recipe ... so that makes them healthy, right?? I literally made these in less than 10 minutes and now have an awesome grab n' go dessert to keep E and our guests during their meeting tonight.



Hob Knobs

1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use Reduced Fat Creamy PB)
5 tbsp cocoa powder
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 tbsp vanilla

Mix milk, sugar and butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Stir. Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 1 minute. Remove pot from heat and add PB, cocoa, oats and vanilla to the pot. Stir until all ingredients have been mixed. Spoon rounded tablespoons of mixture onto wax paper. Cookies will harden as they cool (about 1 hour). Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Oh Brooke, would you please stop it with your "What's Cooking Wednesday"?! Every time you post "What's Cooking Wednesday" I get an email from Dave forwarding your new recipe. Needless to say...I just finished making the Hob Knobs. I hope they are good :0) ~~Thanks for sharing...

Erika said...

Ok, you were right...they were a hit. Yum, Yum, Yum!!! Thank you so much.

Brooke said...

HAHA Erika... I miss your sarcasm! That reminds me...I need to make that peanut butter cake that you made at my baby shower. Mmmm.