Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday - Sausage and Wild Rice One Pot Wonder

Why didn't I ever think of this?

Let me tell you about the love affair I have had with fresh thyme for some "thyme" now! Cheesy, I know. But I am not kidding. That flavor is unbelievable! So I am always looking for a good excuse to use it in anything and everything!

Since I had 1/2 a link of sausage in the fridge that needed to be cooked or thrown out, on a whim, I threw some stuff together, added some fresh herbs, the fastest rice known to man kind and I had one of the best meals that I have had in my mouth in a long while. It was so hearty and familiar and it just screamed "autumn" without having to add pumpkin. So much so, that I may use this same recipe with stuffing instead of rice for my thanksgiving meal! It's Thanksgiving worthy and comes with a turkey shaped stamp of approval from yours truly!


Uncle Ben's Ready Rice rice is like manna from heaven. I always seem to over cook or under cook the rice. This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that rice takes FOREVER to cook. This rice is flavorful, super fast and comes with an online coupon!! You just tear the top open a bit, throw it in the microwave for 90 seconds and serve. Now I don't have to slave in the kitchen all day but E doesn't have to know that when he bites into his dinner!

Go home and make this tonight. It takes a total of 15 minutes to throw together and it's completely worth it!
Sausage and Wild Rice One Pot Wonder

1/2 package of smoked sausage, sliced into bite size pieces
1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup onion, diced
4 T fresh thyme, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
1 bag Uncle Ben's 90 sec Wild Rice
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
Fresh Ground Pepper

In a pot or large saute pan, cook the sausage at medium-high heat until browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and leave the drippings. Meanwhile, put the rice in the microwave and cook according to the directions.

Add the onions and mushrooms to the sausage drippings. Cook until tender, then add the thyme, parsley and garlic. Stir together for 1-2 minutes. Add rice and water to the pan. Season with ground pepper. Cook on medium until all ingredients are well blended and heated through about 3-5 minutes.

3 comments:

theshavers said...

Made this last night and it was a big HIT!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!! I used conecuh sausage because we are always trying to find an excuse to eat it and it was soooo good!! AGain, THAnks!! It was supper easy and fast!

Brooke said...

Oh how I miss Conecuh sausage...whenever we go home, my grandmother makes it every morning because she knows we never get it! I am glad you liked it! Thanks for sharing! We have to get little Jenna used to all that southern cooking early on! Are you back in the states now or still on the island?

theshavers said...

Jenna has stopped me from eating things like I like them! (aka, SPICY) but I handled the conecuh okay. She seems to like ice cream! :) haha!!

We are back in the states. We live in Gulf Shores now and I am glad to be back! While I loved living in the islands there are definitely things that I missed here! Once we got pregnant, we decided we may go back for a couple months of the year, but we are definitely having and raising this baby here!! :)

Rachel is soo cute, I love reading about her and seeing new pictures!! Y'all seem to be having some moving adventures as well. How are you liking D.C.?