Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday - Flu Fighter Cookies

As I have preciously mentioned, all three of us were sick last weekend (which is turning into this week). Just a few hours before I started showing those sad, sad symptoms of my yearly nemesis, I started making these Flu Fighter Cookies....maybe if I had made them 72 hours earlier, I would have been SAVED!!!

While me and E put down a WHOLE batch of these in 2 days (carb counting is off limits when comfort food is needed), I think that the antioxidants inside of these little fighters really took a hold. I honestly think that these cookies helped me get rid of my cold quicker. More scientific studies will need to be done to prove my hypothesis, but my opinion based prognosis is in and it says that cookies full of dark chocolate (a personal addition), nuts and berries are good for a cold!

These cookies actually come with 2 perks...the flu fighting perk, of course, and then the holiday perk. These cookies taste like Christmas in your mouth! We both fought the urge (and fought it hard) to turn on the Christmas music. In the end, the Christmas music won as I started to sing that ever popular Dan Fogelberg hit, Same Old Lang Syne...lame, I know! I can't explain why that was the first holiday song that popped in my head.

**This recipe came from the new Food Network Magazine, which I didn't necessarily like. Lots of complicated recipes with hard to find ingredients that the average person doesn't want to put the time and work into finding. However,with that being said, I will probably the Thanksgiving edition too since I need to learn how to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving!

Flu Fighter Cookies
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup packed dark browns sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup golden raisins
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a medium bowl.

Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Add the molasses, yogurt, ginger and lemon zest and beat until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture to make a sticky batter (do not overmix). Fold in the oats and half of the raisins, cranberries and walnuts. Mix the remaining dried fruit and nuts in a small bowl and set aside.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Top each with some of the reserved dried-fruit-and-nut mixture and chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Bake the cookies until dark golden but still soft, 10 to 12 minutes; cool on a rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

1 comment:

andreaunplugged said...

i was just reading this cookie recipe last night thinking about trying it. also, i'm sending you my mom's thanksgiving turkey recommendations. check your email...it's so easy!!