Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday - The Need for New Side Dishes

Do you ever have this problem? I definitely do! I end up with a great idea for dessert, for the main dish, but the side dish....ehhh! I run out of brain cells and end up making a salad and bread. How boring!! But before I get to the success, I need to talk about my failure from last night. Oh the failure!! I made Charred Corn Chowder. I used a whole can of chipolte chili peppers (instead of 2) and then used 2 tablespoons of dried thyme instead of 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme. Sigh! I really need to stop cooking while Rach is asleep which turns me into a clock watcher. There was nothing I could do to salvage the mess that was now bubbling in my cast iron pot. We tried everything to cool it down...sour cream, milk, feta cheese, sugar, more salt, lime...anything....but the dish just kept getting weirder and weirder tasting until we finally had to pull out the Pepto Bismol. All that work charring and scrapping the corn cobs to eat cereal for dinner. It's always a learning experience in the Everyday Bailey kitchen!

Oh well! On to the successes of side dish! Why didn't it occur to me to EVER make burritos for dinner? I don't like taco shells and so I guess I banned all foods of the sort in my mind. But it finally occurred to me and I made some chicken, warmed some tortillas, and mixed up a can of black beans, corn, and rotel for a quick black bean salsa, topped it off with some cheese and sour cream and they were great! But what else???...I needed a side dish!! I saw a recipe for Corn and Red-Potato Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette. Why not right? It was a little tedious following the recipe but now I know what I will and won't do next time to make the dish quicker. No worries, I will share that info with you as well. Oh yeah...how was it?? It was awesome. Go make it this weekend for your tailgate party. Just a touch of heat, no mayo (so if someone gets food poisoning, they can't blame your potato salad), and it is good hot, room temperature or cold! Happy Cooking!


Corn and Red Potato Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette


1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
10 red potatoes (about 3 pounds), cut into bite size pieces
2 cans yellow corn kernels, drained

In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Whisk in the onion and chiles.

In a pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, let cool. Add to the vinaigrette.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook the corn until warm. Add the kernels to the potatoes and vinaigrette; toss to combine. Serve.

No comments: