Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday - Flops and Successes

Do you ever have a week where everything you make tastes awful? This is especially despairing because I like to write about what I made every Wednesday. What happens if everything I cook is bad, literally BAD?? Thank goodness I have a very last minute husband. Which brings me to my success...One hour before we were supposed to leave for a party on Friday night, I am relaxing on the couch, trying to recover from the lack of a nap for me and my child. I hear E call from upstairs and what he said alarmed me to the point that I got up and moved closer to the stairs to make sure I didn't misunderstand what he said...this was our conversation:

E: Hey, what are we bringing tonight?
Me: What do you mean?
E: Well, we are supposed to bring a dish to share to the party.
Me: Did you tell me this?
E: It was in the email I sent you.
Me: You didn't send me an email!
E: Oh, well, do you have anything we can make real quick?

Sigh! Has this ever happened to you? You don't want to show up with something that says "I appreciate your invitation for dinner but didn't care enough to make anything worth eating!" SO THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!! Tomato Mozzarella Salad. And I actually had to do this TWICE this weekend (but I was in too much of a hurry to take a picture of it so here is what it would look like from this website). This is my super quick recipe but feel free to wing it and add other things that you like.

Tomato Mozzarella Salad

1 cup Plum tomatoes, sliced in half

1 cup fresh mozzarella balls

1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup olive oil

salt, to taste

fresh ground pepper, to taste

3 cloves garlic, minced

Balsamic vinegar to taste (small amount) optional, a little bit goes a long way!!

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Combine all ingredients in bowl. Stir until flavor is set.


Now, on to my flops...I made Smitten Kitchen's Tomato Corn Pie and Rachael Ray's Maple Apple Chicken Sausage.


First, let's start with the Tomato Corn Pie. Bleh! Not good and it took FOREVER to make!!! My poor husband had to eat the leftovers of this dish for a few days. On the last day, he says "That's all of this I have to eat now, right?"


Now, the Chicken Sausages. My house smelled awful for 2 days. We both took 2 bites and thought we were going to GAG! So I put them aside as dog treats for Maggie. The first day, she sucked them down and was happier than I had ever seen her. The next morning, she was being very good so I decided to give her a piece of sausage. 15 minutes later, I was cleaning vomit off of the living room carpet.


2 comments:

Denise :) said...

Hey Lady! I enjoyed seeing your pictures from the rally. Your cooking adventures are fun! The tomato and mozzarella cheese salad sounds good. Here's one with tomatoes and corn that is tested and very good (in place of your tomato and corn pie)! http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/corn_tomato_saut.html

Hugs! :)

PAM said...

WE MISS YOU GUYS SO. THANKS FOR ALL THE PICS AND UPDATES. TELL RACH NOT TO GROW TOO MUCH.

LOVE