Thursday, September 3, 2009

6 Meals in One Afternoon (for 2 people)

I know right...Its seems a little ambitious, even for me! For meals 1 & 2, I bought a rotisserie chicken for the grocery store deli. I pulled the legs and thighs off and threw them immediately into the freezer (because I have to watch out for E, he will come and steal the legs if I take too long...and yes, he came in later and took the wings) for a quick dinner one night next week. I shredded the breasts and threw them in the freezer as well for chicken salad or a pot of soup for later.


For meals 3 through 6, I made a recipe last night that just can't wait to tell you about (and yes, another scored point for kidney beans) . It was so good, low on carbs and it will really go far. Chicken Salsa Verde Bake...oh my! Deee-lish! It originally called for a 9 x 13 casserole dish, but I took dessert over to a friend's house and forgot my dish and needed to brainstorm for another solution. Why not split it up and make 2 meals? I have 2 round casserole dishes (a wedding present from Treva at Possitive Gossip) so I decided to cook one and freeze the other. And for 2 people, one dish will give you a meal and another meal worth of leftovers. It calls for 2 16 oz jars of Salsa Verde which I thought would be a little expensive until I went to the Hispanic section of the grocery store and found cans of Salsa verde for cheaper than buying 2 jars. The only thing I did different was add a can of Rotel (drained) and I needed to add a few more tortilla chips since I was making 2 dishes. Amazing! Try it tonight and put half in the freezer for later.

Chicken Salsa Verde Bake

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Two 16-ounce jars salsa verde
One 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup sour cream
3 cups crushed tortilla chips
One 8-ounce bag shredded Mexican-style cheese

Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand until cool, then shred the meat into a large bowl. Stir in the salsa, kidney beans, onion and sour cream.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, scatter 1 cup tortilla chips on the bottom and top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers and cover with the remaining 1 cup tortilla chips. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Tara said...

yum! This sounds great! Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Linsi Broom said...

Hey Brooke! I tried the Salsa Verde Bake and it was delish. Great idea about the rotel; that made the dish!
Anyway, Andrea said that you and Eric are living somewhere near DC. Anywhere near Arlington? That's where I'm at for the next couple of years. Just thought I'd see how close you guys were.

Brooke said...

Yeah! I am glad you tried it! It was so yummy!

We are just over the Potomac from where you are. So we are really close! I heard you were up here from Andrea. She said that you had moved here for grad school. How's all of that going? Have you gotten adjusted yet?