Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday -It's Back!!

I know I know!! It's been a while! I now have my kitchen back, my cookbooks and files back, all of my kitchen utensils, etc. Its nice to be home!

If you follow my posts, you will know that me and E are doing P90X. We are in week 3 (although, we weren't very consistent in week 2) of about 13. So far the diet is going well and we both lost alot of weight in the first few days. So let me tell you a little about the diet:
Lots of Proteins
Lots of Veggies
A little less Dairy
Alot less Carbs

We both are allowed 1 Carb a day (2 peices of whole wheat bread, 1 whole wheat tortilla, 2 english muffins, 1 cup cereal, ...you get the idea). So if I don't get up in time to make E's breakfast, he is going to burn his one carb allowed at breakfast and then be upset because he can't have bread on his sandwich at lunch. So to help with the carb countdown, I pulled a recipe from an old friend for Cauliflower Faux Potatoes. I forgot how good these were and how closely they mimic mashed potatoes. Amazing. You must try them! I can actually get E to eat 2 helpings of it easily and I now have a vegetable posing as a carb!! Sweet!

By the way, check out my new food processor!! A christmas gift from the in-laws.

Cauliflower Faux-Potatoes

1 head cauliflower, with the head cut into pieces

3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

salt and pepper to taste


Steam cauliflower until soft. (I use a veggie steamer insert on my rice cooker) Drain.


Put in food processor until well blended. Add sour cream to the processor. Then add salt and pepper to taste.


Optional: Add Pesto, garlic, cheese, bacon, butter


2 comments:

Ashley said...

Cauliflower tastes like potatoes? Really? I'm not sure whether to believe you or not. And testing this out means I have to taste cauliflower. Ugh! Not sure if I can handle that. Haha! Maybe one day I'll work up the nerves. That would be an awesome substitute for potatoes.

Denise :) said...

I've never heard of these before. We're going to try them asap! I *love* mashed potatoes, but don't make them often because they don't love me. Thanks for sharing that one!! :)