Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Give One, Get One?

I saw this article on another site today and thought it was interesting... I am kinda on the fence. And the only reason I even slightly lean to the other side of her opinion is because the minds behind it. Nicolas Negroponte is a personal favorite of mine. I read his book "Being Digital" in college and always tote it around with me whenever I go on a long trip and need a book. Always a good read even the 5th time. But I don't think that a laptop for every child is going to change all of the problems in the world. If their basic human needs aren't being met, why are we giving them laptops? What do you think?










From the blog "Two Straight Lines"

I'm curious what you all think of this "Give One, Get One" concept. Is that what the children of the world need-- laptops? I'm not saying the answer is no, just that we shouldn't assume that the answer is yes. Hmmm...I'd love some concrete examples of how this will improve their lives. I took a quick look at the website and didn't find them, but haven't fully explored it. Sort of reminds me of when Karin Blixen opened the school in Out of Africa (my favorite movie), making a lot of assumptions along the way about what "the other" people needed. Even some of the language on the site rubs me the wrong way-- "to contribute to a more productive and saner world community." Huh?? OK, sorry for the rant, I'm just not convinced.

No comments: